Tuesday 6 April 2010

Abortion Blog

Abortion.
Once again I come to write a blog on a 'being bad' topic and the main arguments against the action seem to stem from religion. Religious belief and morality seem to merge in our society creating an in-built taboo and bad feeling towards certain things without much prior knowledge on the subject at all. Personally, I always thought abortion was 'bad' and never really considered why, but my opinion was drastically altered due to experience. When I was eight months pregnant, perfectly happy and looking forward to the birth of my baby, someone very close to me approached me and told me that they were pregnant. I knew this person had recently split up with their partner and had a toddler already and no where to live. This was a bad situation for her them already, and another baby would have turned their lives upside down. It was very early in the pregnancy and this person wanted to terminate. I remember sitting in the clinic waiting for this person to come out...looking around there was a girl who barely looked like a teen waiting to go in, a couple who were very close waiting and another young girl and her friend. It struck me then that these people were not being cruel and 'killing a baby' it was just the wrong time for them and they had made an informed decision. So why are some people so against abortion?
Pro life believers view the moment of conception as the beginning of a new life
Pro Choice believers see that the fetus is completely dependant upon the mother until the moment of its first breath.
As my picture shows, the matter is so heavily debated because it involves us actually having life in our hands. I think every situation is different but the system we have in this country is right. Women should be told facts! The risks, with statistics, but also the support available if they choose to keep their baby. An informed decision can then be made by the person that will be most affected by it!
While researching this blog, I came across a website that is supposedly set up to help young pregnant girls. It cropped up with every search that I did so I had a look and read some of the stories. I was actually disgusted at it. Have a look and see what you think, but to me it seems like a very pressuring site that is so pro-life under a guise of 'wanting to help'. The girls looking at these sites are very vulnerable and seeing things like this could probably really mess with their heads! I had to post it as my link; www.standupgirl.com see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment