Wednesday 17 February 2010

Smoking Blog

Smoking.
Well, some of you may have seen this news report not so long ago. Police were looking into the case of the smoking baby. The picture was posted by a young mother on facebook and had later been reported to police. The picture evoked mixed feelings from 'friends' of the mother. Some people stating that she need not worry as she was a good mum, and others questioning what chance the child had in life with a mum like her. The question it raised in my mind was, why would you do this in the first place? The only possible reason I can think of is a cheap laugh! No one who is raising a child (sanely) wants anything but the best for them. Whether or not you are a smoker yourself, you never want your child to smoke. I smoke but hope my four year old son will develop a hate for it, rather than a love!

One topic which was addressed during the lecture was smoking while pregnant. I smoked before my pregnancy, completely quit during, and hated even the smell of smoke, only to start again shortly after giving birth. This was never a conscious decision, it just happened! If the situation arose again, I don't know if I'd choose to quit. My sister however chose to smoke throughout her pregnancy, but will not smoke around her son now that he is born! Strange.

You can't say people try smoking because of peer pressure or, people quit for health reasons. These comments are too general. I think smoking is a personal choice and is always based on circumstance.

(Photograph and story can be found at; www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244351/Police-probe-baby-cigarette-photo-posted-Facebook.html )

No comments:

Post a Comment