Thursday 15 April 2010

Body Modification Blog.

Body Modification.
So, today was the day that Claire and I got to show off our tattoos and piercings. I had done a lot of research into tattooing for my essay and thought I already knew a lot about body modification but this lecture put a whole new slant on my thoughts. When the lecturer spoke about the tribes whose cultures and traditions are centred around the tattoos and other body mods that they have it opened my eyes to an ancient history that I had never before thought about. People from other cultures (such as the mowri tribe) feel so passionately about their facial tattoos that they are willing to kill in order to uphold their integrity.
My argument in my written piece on this subject was that tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable now due to many reasons, one being the hit t.v documentary style shows, Miami, L.A and London Ink. In her book on her life and the series, Kat Von D talks about the modern history of tattooing, about the change in recent years. She touches briefly upon the sentimental reasons that people have tattoos. One story which always stayed in my mind was that of the mother of Haylee Mazzella. This video shows the personal story behind her tattoo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9UfyKVWrnY
There are more pictures of Kat Von D's work at http://www.katvond.net/tattoos.html

No comments:

Post a Comment